Wednesday, January 9, 2008

NCAA football playoffs

Okay, with all the talk coming out of Georgia, the SEC and ACC, I figured I'd throw in my suggestion for College Football playoffs.

There are 11 conferences. Only conference winners should advance into the playoffs. I dont care if you are Georgia and you claim to be better than Tennessee or LSU, if you dont win your conference, you dont advance. College football is too large for there to be wild cards like in NFL.

1 conference most likely will be too scared to compete. Possibly a few more. But lets assume its just 1 (Mountain West?)

So, you take your 10 conference winners. 4 of them will have the plus 1 games to get into the playoffs. this will eliminate 2 teams, leaving 8. 8 teams divide nicely into the four main bowls. 2 bowls in the eastern US (Orange/Sugar) and 2 bowls in the western US (Fiesta/Rose). The winners of those bowls will play each other to have an Eastern Champ and WEstern champ who will play for the National Championship a week later. In this system, I suggest keeping the bowl tie ins, since they are semi regional anyway. I'd keep the SEC champ in the Sugar, and ACC and Big East champs in the Orange. Pac 10 and Big 10 champs in the Rose. Big 12 champ in the Fiesta. That leaves 2 open spots for the 2 play in teams. Since usually the other conferences aren't on par with the major conferences, this will still give 2 of them a chance each year to get teams in. So the MAC, WAC, ConfUSA and SunBelt (or Mountain West) will compete for the 2 remaining spots in the Sugar Bowl and Fiesta Bowl.

This way, voting doesnt matter!! Its all on the field, its all about your play through the year (which will get you to your conference championship) and then your play in the playoffs. I mean, how subjective is voting?? Football is not gymnastics. Its not ice skating. It shouldnt be judged. If Div 2 and 3 football, and college baseball, and college hockey all have playoffs, Div 1 should. We know it, the players know it, the coaches know it, most school presidents know it. The only people who dont care, are the tv networks who make money off the great sport. I know its naive of me to think that money shouldnt decide which 2 teams get into the championship game, just as its naive of me to think gas companies will roll over for hybrid cars or ethanol, or water powered, or whatever. But this is my blog and I do what i want!

Seriously. Playoffs. Its not a new concept.

Love, Peace, and canes' chicken grease.

PS. just read this from 2000:
http://www.slate.com/id/91886/

Great minds think alike.

1 comment:

megAstar said...

-eHarmony is just as good as match.com! They match me on like 500 personality components or something!

-I can get you a lovely discount at DisneyQuest. And yes, it is jewy of you to ask, but I expect that. : )

-The Office is never coming back if these a holes don't fix this contract thing. I'm so sad. Zach Braff posted a note on myspace saying if it goes on too long they may not ever film the final episode of Scrubs!!!

-When will the questions end? And where else are you supposed to post questions to me?

-Britney is the conductor of the crazy train that I bet will not live to see 2009.