Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Worst Sandwich Ever

first read this:
http://keriland.blogspot.com/2008/05/worst-sandwich-ever.html

Now stop laughing. Now stop wondering how Keith is able to tie his shoes in the morning, drive a car, and code thousands of lines of Java to create software that thousands of people use, yet not able to evenly spread peanut butter and jelly on bread, all the while keeping the bread in its normal square shape.

Seriously, here is a challenge. Everyone see if you can get your children to make a PB&J, then take pictures of it, and we will have a contest and judge to see if any kids (or how many) can make one better than Keith!

Keith, you know i like you. You are mad fun to rock out with. You are fun to talk nerdy shop with. You are a great ski trip partner. I'm just glad we ate out. :)

Alright, enough Keith shenanigans.

If you work for a big company, and have a corporate directory on your company's corporate intranet, i highly recommend you take a few minutes and do some searches for names of people that work there. This might work best for a place like Harris, or a hospital. Search for names like 'Wang' or the slang for 'Richard'. I know its childish, but i guarantee you'll find yourself amazed that some of these peoples' parents actually named their children! I'm not going to post them here, but if you are curious about some of the good ones, email me. :)

Also, with blogging and social networking being so popular today, i'd be curious to hear if anyone has opinions on how to use things like blogs and wikis in a corporate environment to add value to peoples' jobs or to the company. We're currently implementing these tools at Wachovia, and I'd like to know what all you think about having a blog at work, or having a work wiki. I know i have tons of ideas about how we're hoping they get used, but what do y'all think? Also, how do we have successful adoption for the Baby Boomers and Traditionalists who aren't as close to technology as GenX/GenYers.

If you're not familiar with those terms, they're categories of generations. Check it out http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Generation#External_links

They call the Traditionalists "Silent". but I went to a diversity event today at work talking about the differences in the Generations. pretty interesting. Some stuff you sort of think as obvious, but i dont think a lot of people consciously think about the differences when dealing with people at work (or anywhere really). People often treat others as they want to be treated. Older generations value hard work, loyalty to the company, conformity. Younger generations are more self focused, show loyalty to people rather than the company, and are likely to change jobs and careers many times. I recommend learning about the generations, its pretty interesting. Obviously not every person born in the years listed will have all the characteristics but they are documented trends.

This is not only true about age, but also gender. I think men and women often give what they need, instead of giving what the other person needs. Whether its at home or at work, and age or gender, try to just ask the other person what they need. If its your boss or your employee or your spouse or parent, instead of just giving them support or help in the way YOU want or need it, really think about that person. It is easy to give what you know, but thats not always the most effective thing for the other person.

Is that like the longest blog post ever? I try to keep them short cuz i know everyone's attention spans are like 3 sentences, but i was in a writey sorta mood. You get a gold star and an A+ if you are still reading.

1 more day till Indiana Jones! WOOHOO!

9 comments:

Keri Donald said...

Super post! :)

I'll get right on that pb&j sandwich tomorrow. I will definitely enter Annabelle in the contest, but I can't promise anything about Corgan. Not that I don't think he could do a better job than Keith did... I just don't want him chewing on a knife.

About the Generations thing... In college I got a minor in Communications, and one of my favorite classes was Interpersonal Communications. It dealt with just this kind of thing. It was all about how people communication verbally and non-verbally. Discussed communication in all types of relationships (family, datings, work, strangers, etc.). I haven't thought about that class for a couple of years now. Thanks for reminding me. :) That is some interesting stuff.

Keri Donald said...

Correction: "It was all about how people communicate verbally and non-verbally." See why I didn't minor in English? :)

Angelle said...

Hahahahaha! Seriously, saddest sandwich ever.

Leah will also enter.

Nikki said...

Awesome. I will enter Halle, but she's been rejecting jelly lately. So it might just be a peanut butter sandwich.

SpringSource uses blogs and wiki and I think both work exceptionally well in that environment. I never really got into the blogs because that's more technical stuff, but I think the wiki is incredibly useful. Of course, we use it in lieu of an intranet, so maybe if the company already has an intranet, it might not be as useful. Although everyone has access to read and write to the wiki, whereas most corporate intranets are ready-only for the employees. Not sure how a wiki would work with a large corporation, but it's definitely worthwhile for smaller organizations.

Brittany said...

Wow...I BARELY made the cut for GenX. I always thought I was a GenY, but I guess I'm too old...depressing.

By the way, there are dogs in my future, but not until I have a fenced in back yard and a doggie door.

Keith Donald said...

Dude
My daughter is complicated. Even if I think make the perfect PB&J, its usually not good enough for her. So yeah, I have now learned you must cut it into halves, and then you must use this specific kind of jelly (peach not strawberry), and yeah, you must spread the peanut butter evenly OR ELSE! That particular sandwich was a bad attempt of mine to throw together something quick that vaguely met her requirements... quick as instead of using a knife to cut it into halves, I tore it into two jagged pieces with my hands, I threw some PB on there, and then lumped the wrong kind of jelly on there... yeah, pretty much failed miserably :-)

Dude, we use Wordpress for our blog and Confluence for our Wiki. Check 'em out.

Keri Donald said...

Annabelle likes orange jelly, not peach. :)

Brittany said...

Okay, I saw the sandwich, and it was really bad. Am I allowed to enter Kitty into the contest because I think even he could make a sandwich better than that one!

megAstar said...

All this pb&j talk, I'm going to make myself one. But I have that squeezable jelly that comes out in a nice flat layer, so it's pretty easy. Maybe Keith can look into that. : )